Sunday, February 6, 2011

The 3rd and final phase

The final phase of this weeks cakes have had it's ups and downs. The 2 that I made for my good friend "D" turned out well. I really liked this one:

and I thought this one was ok, not quite what I had envisioned, but not bad:

But I thought they looked really nice together:
"D" seemed very pleased with them and that is all that matters! Hope she and her family enjoy eating them today!!

Yesterday, I made 2 more cakes for our college church party tonight. I made the 8in level egg free so "C" could have some. I tried an egg replacer this time instead of the can of pop and it helped a little bit, but they were still too soft and stuck to the pan, then it broke in half, then it crumbled everywhere. The 6in top layer I used eggs!
I was still able to use the one that broke in half, so I dirty iced it and then rolled out the black fondant. This wasn't too bad, it covered ok and overall was fine. So then I dirty iced the other cake and then rolled out the fondant and flipped my mat to put it on the cake and it was stuck. It would not come off the mat! I did exactly the same things as before. Ugh. So I pulled it back off and decided to use some powdered sugar to help it not stick (I had been using shortening), but I didn't want to because it was black fondant. Well, I sucked it up and went to town. This worked much better! Once it was on and trimmed it looked all bumpy and I was just not happy with it. So I decided not to make it 2 tiers because it would make my other cake that I liked look bad!
Next, I decorated the 8in layer with lacy cornelli stripes and a ruffle border. Once I decided it was going to be it's own cake I then added the Steelers logo to it. I like how it turned out.
The 6in layer was the one I am not happy with. I was too tired and frustrated to decorate it the way I had intended, so I just used the curly cues that I had already made. So it doesn't look the way I planned, but it will taste yummy and that's all that really matters, right?!

Not sure why that is so tiny, but it's probably better that way;)

Well, thanks for following this super bowl journey with me! GO STEELERS!!!

Coming up next is M's birthday, stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I am so loving the curls. They are so much fun!!!!!! The game was sad, but at least you had super fun cakes!

    ReplyDelete