Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Phase 1

I have three Super Bowl cakes to make for this weekend so I started making some of the fondant decorations for them today. I really enjoyed the planning phase of this yesterday. I mentioned this in another post, but I have always wished I was creative. I always wanted to be able to paint. I have really enjoyed being creative through cakes. So here is what I was working on today.

Gold curly cues!! These are going to go around the base of 2 of the cakes, along with black ones of course! These are made out of fondant tinted gold. I used a new brand of coloring this time and I liked how it turned out. I usually use Wilton coloring but I used Duff's color this time. I made these by rolling out the fondant really thin and then I used a pizza cutter to cut really skinny strips. Next I wrapped them around wooden dowel rods like this:
Once they were slightly hardened I pulled them off then cut the to the size I wanted. Next I cut out the gold letters I will need:
GO STEELERS!!!

I used a stencil and cut these out with a knife.

So there you have it. Phase 1 complete. I will be making black curly cues and circles for the Steeler logo early this week too, and then the cakes will come later in the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment